As You Wished- Dan & Jessie's Baby Blog

Friday, May 04, 2007

They're Just Boobs People!

I went to a breastfeeding class at the local hospital last night and left feeling pissed off. The first thing the nurse talked about was all the different ways women can be discreet while feeding their babies in public. In addition, while you and your baby are getting used to this new endeavor it's best to just stay home so you don't have to worry about being discreet.
So I sat there listening, trying to learn a whole new lexicon: latch, self expression, colostrum, football hold.... feeling caught up over her introduction to "being discreet". I was even given a catalog of discreet nursing wear and these funny shawl things that cover up your feeding baby as to not offend anyone. Ugh!
I finally raised my hand and lamely asked, "Is it OK to not be discreet?" The lactation nurse looked at me like I had ten heads. I went on to explain that I was uncomfortable with this idea that I needed to protect everyone around me because somehow my breast and attached baby would offend them. Come on! Am I suppose to squirrel away at home and only feed my baby in secret.
I feel like I can only do one of two things - either care about being discreet and carry it around as a constant concern or forget discreet and just focus and giving my baby what she needs when she needs it. It's a no brainer, isn't it?
They're just boobs people! Get over it! And stop teaching new moms it's something to be ashamed of and tucked away at the expense of you and your baby.

5 Comments:

  • i love boobies...let's see 'em ladies!! but you knew that about me already...good for you for asking that not so lame question!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 PM  

  • Oh my God, I have never been so proud of my little country mouse ever. You are going to be such an excellent mama because you already are!!!

    By Blogger resident mama, at 2:12 PM  

  • Its great that you have the confidence not to be discreet but I am sure being discreet gives other women the confidence to breast feed. Besides the most important thing for a baby is a happy mother boob or not.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 AM  

  • Anonymous- I think women have the right to be discreet, absolutely. But I don't think the ideas of breastfeeding as something that should be hidden away to avoid offending public morals and that folks might want to invest in a breastfeeding burqua (which is how Jess described the approach of the class to me when she got home)is something that needs to be thrown out to a room of expectant mothers eager to breastfeed. Surely its the wrong approach to suggest that this wonderful thing you can do for your baby is awesome and special but just a little bit weird and seedy?

    There is being respectful and aware of one's surroundings (which I think most breastfeeding mums are, even the hippies), and then there is the exortations to be "discreet" which in this case seemed to advocate for more awareness of where one's boobs where than is shown by 90% of non-nursing tank top wearers and Tara Reid.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 5:53 AM  

  • Being discreet is totally fine - I just don't think it is appropriate to start out a class talking about awareness of others around you BEFORE teaching us how to breastfeed.

    By Blogger country mouse, at 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home