As You Wished- Dan & Jessie's Baby Blog

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What a Difference!

So here's the thing: If you are planning to become pregnant, or are newly so, make sure that you love what you sleep on. Twelve weeks to go (give or take 2 or 3) and we've finally acquired something decent to sleep on. Finding a mattress that isn't loaded with petro-chemicals and carcinogenic flame retardants has been very difficult. Once you start looking into mattresses and issues of toxicity - forget it. At one point I figured that it would just be easier for us to sleep on a board.
Last week I ventured off the Internet and out to the furni/mattress stores here in mid-coast Maine. People looked at me like I had ten heads and was speaking Klingon. Whoa! Get a load of the crazy lady; a caring and educated consumer with concerns about her newborn breathing in horrible stuff off gassing from the new mattress.
Here's a tip: don't go in and ask for an all-natural mattress. And definitely don't use the word organic. They'll think you're some crazy hippie who wants to set fire to the building in retaliation. I tweaked my approach after the first place and started asking for hypo-allergenic. Allergies. People seemed to get behind the allergy approach.
I would have purchased a mattress online except for the $600 freight charge.
The very last place I stopped, completely dejected by this point convinced I'd have to sleep on my horrible crunchy springed mattress forever, had exactly what I wanted. On sale to boot! I could have kissed the sales woman.
The delivery guys dropped it off yesterday - I could have kissed them too!
I slept wonderfully with the exception of dog #1 and dog #2 each making plays for a piece throughout the night. Who new that the quality of my life could be so drastically improved by some big ol' slab of mattress!
Mom and fetus are quite pleased with ourselves.

4 Comments:

  • While you were off getting ready, I inadvertently giggled to myself while slipping under the covers last night, its that comfy. Nice work, Mrs.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 10:46 AM  

  • Our bed still off-gasses. But the gas is not coming from the mattress. It comes from old faithful and his daughter, mini-old-faithful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:15 PM  

  • Its that all Guinness and venison diet of his.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 6:40 AM  

  • am so happy for you and your new mattress...i remember the day when ours was just a newbie all cozy and cuddly but now...almost teen-mattress years...becoming lumpy and hard to deal with...it all goes by so quickly...boo hoo...but yeah for you!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home