As You Wished- Dan & Jessie's Baby Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Rings'n'Things

This is the ring that I like. I know it's a bit unconventional but I like the tree and the symbolism.


We went ring shopping on Saturday in Camden. We returned to the shop where Dan purchased my engagement ring. I had cleverly bid on and won a discount "coupon" for the store at the last Youthlinks auction in anticipation of our future needs. This is Camden, people! We can't afford Camden even with a coupon.
The whole scene was weird and uncomfortable. I think we both felt like complete rubes. We didn't even know what we we're looking for. You know... a ring or something.
Dan would pick something up and look at me, like I knew anything, "What about this one?"
When the jeweler finally brought out the tray with the "cheap"* rings (he held off as long as he could) we we're all over them like it was Filene's Basement.
I'm not trying to be cheesy by discussing the financial aspects of purchasing the things that will forever symbolize our love, respect, and commitment to one another. I'm just trying to realistic- $700 is too much money to spend on the thing Dan will probably lose. Ok... I'll probably lose.
The ring is only the reminder of your commitment and frankly I don't need to be reminded how much I love and adore my future husband. He's pretty great with or without some snobby platinum comfort fit size 12 wedding band.

*"Cheap" is relative. Camden "Cheap" = 1 month rent/3 + the electric bill for March.

5 Comments:

  • For $700 I could buy a Ford Tempo from Uncle Henry's and have a chop shop in Augusta airbush your face on the hood and still have change.

    Now that would be an eternal sign of love, at least until the transmission falls out.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 12:34 PM  

  • I think we spent about $125 at Pyramid Studios. Two months later the stone had fallen out. Then I got a $3 mood ring to replace it and a week later I had a green stain around my finger. Now I go ringless because Troy spends all our extra money on mason jars for maple syrup and waders for trout fishing...which reminds me. April 1st is your shower and the opening day of fishing season. So I have the toe-headed monster in tow. I tried to get a sitter but have been unsuccessful. The monster may make an appearance at the shower, unless the jolly green giant feels like babysitting? Baby strollering around Witch Hole Dan???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 AM  

  • Dan is going for a drive in the country with his old friend Boo to look at wine and cheese at Manos Market, alas.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 10:31 AM  

  • Iris says that sounds fun. She loves cheese. And she loves playing peek-a-Boo.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM  

  • Jessie and Dan, Your dad headed us towards this site. A comment on the ring thing...after 30+ yrs., my record with wedding bands is; the first one is too small stuck in jewlery case somewhere, the next one wore out and broke in two, after a few years with none-I now have 2 or 3 $10 bands from St. John with petroglyphs on them-I rotate them around as they start to look tarnished or ratty--I also have to take it off when I play basketball because it flops around on my hand too much.

    ...the lack of a real wedding band doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects on the relationship!

    Dave

    By the way, our sympathies on the loss of Bailey...we were in St. John when we got word. The morning before we got word,when we were out walking I mentioned him to Kathy, wondering how he was getting along.... Sorry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home